Dane County is plentiful in natural resources, one of those important resources is water. From the Yahara Chain of Lakes to the Upper Sugar River to our groundwater, these water resources (and more) make Dane County a great place to live and recreate. Learn more about our surface and ground water resources and what you can do to protect them.
Groundwater and Drinking Water
Surface Water (lakes, streams, rivers, springs, and wetlands)
- Dane County Land & Water Resources Dept. – Lake Management
- Dane County Land and Water Resources Dept. – Watershed Management
- Extension Lakes This site contains a variety of resources including information for: Lake Organizations, Clean Boats Clean Waters, Citizen Lake Monitoring, Lake Leaders, a bookstore, and other resources.
Water Testing Labs
- Public Health Lab – Madison and Dane County This site has information on drinking water testing for private and municipal wells
- Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene
- WI Center for Watershed Science and Education