The Green Thumb Gardening class series will give you the practical knowledge to keep your home garden thriving! University of Wisconsin Extension educators and local horticulture experts will provide in depth and accessible information for everyone from the novice to the experienced gardener.
- October 9: Putting the Garden to Bed for Winter and Seed Saving/Seed Starting
- October 16: Ornamental Grasses and Plants for Fall Color
- October 30: Garden Landscape Design
- November 6: Native Plants and Pollinators
- November 13: Organic Vegetable Garden Planning and Techniques
- November 20: Vegetable Garden Insect Pests and Diseases
- December 4: Winter Pruning of Trees, Shrubs and Fruit Trees
- Putting the Garden to Bed for Winter and Seed Saving/Seed Starting: Learn different techniques to collect and preserve seeds from the garden, germinate seeds at home, and care for your seedlings as they emerge. Learn how to put your garden to bed for the winter season.
- Ornamental Grasses and Plants for Fall Color:This presentation will cover a number of different species of ornamental grasses (both native and non-native), optimal conditions for growing them and descriptions of how they can be used in the landscape. Plants for Fall Color: This talk focuses on woody ornamental plants (both trees and shrubs) with excellent fall color, but also covers a few herbaceous perennials.
- Garden Landscape Design: Ben Futa, Director at Allen Centennial Garden, will cover fundamentals and elements of landscape design for your annual or perennial garden.
- Native Plants and Pollinators: Lisa Johnson, Dane County Extension Horticulture Educator will discuss native prairie plants for gardens and some of the best plants to choose to attract butterflies and other pollinators.
- Organic Vegetable Garden Planning and Techniques: Dane County Extension Small-Scale and Organic Produce Educator Claire Strader will cover organic techniques for growing vegetables, with an emphasis on practical strategies for a successful harvest.
- Vegetable Garden Insect Pests and Diseases: Learn how to prevent and manage diseases and insects that afflict a variety of plants in the home vegetable garden. Taught by Lisa Johnson, Dane County Extension Horticulture Educator.
- Winter Pruning of Trees, Shrubs and Fruit Trees: This presentation reviews appropriate pruning for deciduous and evergreen landscape trees and shrubs as well as proper pruning strategies and techniques for apple and pear trees.