Horticulture Helpline – Home Garden Questions
- 608-224-3721 (9am to 12 pm, May thru Oct)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or walk-in assistance.
- Green Thumb Gardening Class Series
- Winter Seminar Series
- Master Gardener Volunteer Training
- Green Industry Educational Programs
- Educational Programs for the General Public
- Dane County UWEX Teaching Garden
- Dane County Tree Board
- Community Foods Systems
- Community Garden assistance
- Public presentations by Master Gardener Volunteers on topics such as:
- seed starting
- container gardening
- square foot gardening
- seed saving
- how to become a Master Gardener Volunteer.
For more information on a variety of horticulture topics visit the Wisconsin Horticulture website.
- Our Staff:
Lisa Johnson grew up in Madison’s southwest side. Lisa’s mother and grandfather were avid gardeners, and her love of plant life was encouraged by high-school biology teacher Marilyn Hanson. Lisa earned her undergraduate degree in Horticulture at UW-Madison and worked at various local garden centers and nurseries before returning to the UW for a graduate degree in Agricultural Communications. She started her Cooperative Extension career first in Milwaukee County before returning to Dane County. Lisa started the Teaching Garden at Dane County UWEX in 2004 as an outdoor classroom for master gardeners, children and the general public. When not gardening, she enjoys playing folk music on guitar, autoharp and bowed psaltry and sharing quality time with her cats.
Joe Muellenberg, Horticulture Coordinator
Joe Muellenberg serves as the horticulture program coordinator in Dane County. His role includes working with school gardens and other community gardening projects, assisting with the Master Gardener program, and coordinating composting education. He partners with the Madison Metropolitan School District, the WI Department of Corrections, Community Groundworks, and other community partners to deliver horticulture education throughout Dane County.