Home » By Youth For Youth
By Youth For Youth (BYFY) is a unique opportunity for Dane County high school youth to be impactful leaders in their community. BYFY provides opportunities for youth to make local investment decisions to support youth-led and youth-developed programs and projects in Dane County.
BYFY members identify issues impacting youth in Dane County. They establish funding priorities, review grant proposals, and recommend funding from County and City grants. BYFY is a collaborative program organized by UW-Madison Extension, the City of Madison, and United Way of Dane County.
“BYFY is a program where youth are given the opportunity to impact their community by funding different youth programs in the area. It’s a great program to be a part of and helps you understand the needs of our community along with helping others.” – Past BYFY Member
“BYFY is an opportunity to work as part of team to fund youth-led social justice projects in Dane County. The program lets you gain experience in evaluating grant proposals and making funding decisions, which is a very impressive thing to have on your resume as a teen. BYFY is an incredible way to have an impact on issues you care about.” – Past BYFY Member
- None at this time.
2023-2024 BYFY member applications are now closed. If you are a high school student in Dane County interested in applying for the 2024 – 2025 BYFY cohort, please fill out this form to be added to our outreach list.
- 2023-2024 Important Dates:
- Grant applications open: October 18, 2023 (application link here)
- Applications due: December 22, 2023
- Applications reviewed: January – March, 2024
- Applicants notified: March 2024
- Awards Ceremony: April 29, 2024 (6:00-7:30pm @ United Way of Dane County, 2059 Atwood Ave, Madison, WI 53704)
- Who Can Apply for a Grant:
- If you are a youth, youth-serving organization, and/or school located in Dane County.
- If your program or project serves K-12 youth in Dane County.
- If you have non-profit status or a fiscal agent. (If you do not have a fiscal agent, please still submit your grant application. We will attempt to identify a fiscal agent for you if your proposal is selected for funding.)
- Grant Requirements:
- The program or project can happen outside of Dane County, as long as the program or project serves K – 12 youth from Dane County.
- Youth must be included in the project planning, proposal writing, and/or project implementation.
- Youth applicants, youth organizations, and schools can request up to $3,000.
- Program and project proposals should correspond with at least one funding priority to be considered for funding. The following funding priorities have been identified by the 2023/24 BYFY cohort:
- Sexual Assault, Sex Trafficking
- Poverty, Food Insecurity, Homelessness
- Mental Health, Physical Health
- Climate Change
Staff Contact Information:
Taylor Seale, UW-Madison Extension
Nathan Beck, City of Madison
Lindsey Gearin, United Way of Dane County
Thank you to our partners! By Youth For Youth is a collaboration between:
- UW Madison Extension Dane County
- City of Madison, Department of Planning & Community Economic Development
- Dane County Department of Human Services, Dane County Youth Commission
- United Way of Dane County