What is the Master Gardener Volunteer (MGV) Training Program?
The UW-Extension Master Gardener Program provides horticultural training to adults who, in turn, volunteer with horticulture-related projects that benefit their local community in support of the County Extension office programming. There is an expectation that MGVs will stay with the program three years, volunteering a minimum of 24 hours per year and completing 10 hours of continuing education. Visit the Wisconsin Master Gardener Volunteer website for more information and horticulture resources: http://wimastergardener.org/.
How Do I become a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer?
- Attend the 17 session course which runs weekly on Monday evenings from February 25 through June 24.
- Attend a Master Gardener Volunteer introductory session about the program.
- Sign the UWEX volunteer agreement and consent to the state background check.
- Pass the open-book take-home exam with a score of 70% or better
- Complete the 24 hours of volunteer service by the end of August 2019.
- 12 of 24 hours are to be done at the Dane County UWEX Teaching Garden (workdays as a group are on Saturdays or on your own on weekdays) 2019 Scheduled Teaching Garden Workdays
- 4 of 24 hours at a participating school or community garden
- 3 of 24 hours at an assigned farmers market (These are on weekends; 3 hours is one shift. There are several markets to choose from.)
- 5 hours at a location of your choice from our approved locations handout.
- Attend one Madison Area Master Gardeners (MAMGA) educational session, social event or garden tour by the end of August.
How Do I Keep My Certification Annually?
- Each year after you are certified complete 24 hours of volunteer service (volunteer hours time sheets due Oct 1) after the initial year.
- Complete 10 hours of continuing education due the same date.
- Volunteer for core projects including:
- Additional volunteer hours can be completed programs such as Farm Technology Days, Garden Expo, UW Arboretum, Dane County UW-Extension, Olbrich Gardens, or other Volunteer Opportunities. Please make connections and seek out community organizations to support through volunteering.
MGV Associations Memberships:
- Pay $25 annual dues to MAMGA (the Madison Area Master Gardeners Association)
- Pay $5 annual dues to WIMGA (the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association)