What is the Master Gardener Volunteer (MGV) Training Program?
The UW-Extension Master Gardener Program provides horticultural training to adults who, in turn, volunteer with horticulture-related projects that benefit their local community in support of the County Extension office programming. Visit the Wisconsin Master Gardener Volunteer website for more information and horticulture resources: https://wimastergardener.org/.
How Do I become a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer?
- Attend a Master Gardener Volunteer orientation session about the program
- Attend the 19 session course which runs Wednesday mornings from February 26 through August 26.
- Sign the Extension Volunteer Agreement, Assumption of Risk, Mandated Reporter Training and consent to the state background check.
- Pass the open-book take-home exam with a score of 70% or better
- Complete the 24 hours of volunteer service by the end of August 2020.
- 12 of 24 hours are to be done at the Dane County Extension Teaching Garden (workdays as a group are on Saturdays or on your own on weekdays) Workday Schedule for Teaching Garden
- 4 of 24 hours at a participating school or community garden
- 3 of 24 hours at an assigned farmers market (These are on evenings/weekends; 3 hours is one shift. There are several markets to choose from.)
- 5 hours at a location of your choice from our approved locations handout.
- Attend one Madison Area Master Gardeners (MAMGA) educational session, social event or garden tour by the end of August.
How Do I Keep My Certification Annually?
- Each year after you are certified complete 24 hours of volunteer service (volunteer hours due Oct 1) after the initial year.
- Complete 10 hours of continuing education due the same date.
- Volunteer for core projects including:
- School Gardens
- Farmer’s Markets
- Community Gardens
- Extension Teaching Garden
- Additional volunteer hours can be completed programs such as Garden Expo, UW Arboretum, Dane County Extension, Olbrich Gardens, or other volunteer opportunities. Please make connections and seek out community organizations to support through volunteering.
MGV Associations Memberships:
- Pay $25 annual dues to MAMGA (the Madison Area Master Gardeners Association)
- Pay $5 annual dues to WIMGA (the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association)