Each year, Dane County Extension awards scholarships to high school graduates and continuing college students who live in Dane County and intend to pursue a career in agriculture or a related field, exhibit a strong sense of community volunteerism and service, maintain high grades, and participate in 4-H or FFA. The scholarships are funded from the John Lyle Memorial Trust Fund. The fund awards a number of scholarships every year, and over the last decade has paid over $63,000.
The Extension Committee of the Dane County Board reviews and approves the applications for the scholarships using the following criteria:
- Graduate of a Dane County high school
- Current Dane County resident
- Career goal in agriculture, family and consumer sciences or related field
- Current or previous 4-H and/or FFA activities
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Community service
- Financial need
- Academic achievement
To apply, follow these steps:
- Fill out the Application form PDF fillable. Applications must be typed.
- Request and submit a copy of your latest high school or college transcript
- Request and submit 3 letters of recommendation from 3 different people who know you well, such as a teacher, FFA advisor, County Extension educator, clergy member, 4-H leader, counselor or employer.
Download and complete the Application form PDF fillable and attach transcript and letters of recommendation and send to Extension.
DEADLINE: Applications must be received in the Dane County Extension Office or POSTMARKED by 4:30 pm on May 1, 2021 in order to be included for consideration for the following school year.
Send your completed application and required application materials to: JOHN LYLE MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP, DANE CO EXTENSION, 5201 FEN OAK DR STE 138, MADISON WI 53718
You may email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your application materials to 608-224-3727. Please verify that the materials arrived by calling 608-224-3705.
If you are awarded a John Lyle Scholarship, you will need to inform the Dane County Extension Office of any other scholarships you receive for that school year. The total scholarship money awarded to an individual cannot exceed the actual school costs.
Scholarship money will be awarded only after school starts and the Committee receives verification of attendance/enrollment.
For questions, email email@example.com or call 608-224-3705
University of Wisconsin, U.S.D.A, and Wisconsin counties cooperating. UW-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming including Title IX and ADA.